By Shelly Verougstraete, CPA
Team Accountant, Joyner, Kirkham, Keel & Robertson, Richmond
It is easy to stay positive at work when things are going well but we have all had those days where nothing seems to go right. Even with long days (and sometime nights!) at the office, it can be hard to stay positive. With deadlines, endless phone calls, and emails, happiness can disappear. However, there are some ways to stay positive in the most difficult situations.
- Treat yourself – Go for the Venti latte. Grab a square of chocolate for an afternoon treat.
- Stay away from the Debbie Downers. Stay away from the actively disengaged people at work. These are people that are negative about everything. They will bring you down and drain any enthusiasm you have left after a long day.
- Talk to your colleagues – Letting your struggles build up inside is a recipe for trouble. Sharing your issues with a co-worker can help ease your mind and who will receive beneficial encouragement from others. You might also find that a co-worker can help you out too!
- Challenge negative thoughts with positive ones - Negative thoughts can seem hard to avoid or erase. Negativity is all about your mindset. Try to find the bright side of the situation.
- Smile! – Simply smiling, even when you are in a bad mood, can boost your happiness. Smile at a passing co-worker. Smile as you answer a client’s question. Smile even while you are by yourself. Check out this blog post on the science of smiling. (https://blog.bufferapp.com/the-science-of-smiling-a-guide-to-humans-most-powerful-gesture)
Shelly Verougstraete, CPA, is a team accountant at Joyner, Kirkham, Keel & Robertson in Richmond. She is a graduate of Longwood University.